FORECLOSURE PREVENTION PRO BONO PROJECT
In the first three months of 2013 alone, there were over 9,300 foreclosure filings in Maryland. The foreclosure crisis continues to impact every part of our State and uproot the lives of many of our neighbors. You can help!
In 2008 the Maryland legislature enacted emergency legislation related to the foreclosure process to offer greater opportunities for homeowners to preserve their homes. The new legislation, which included new notice requirements, additional defenses and modifications to the process itself, has enabled many families and individuals to either prevent foreclosure where feasible or mitigate their losses. With the passage of Maryland’s Foreclosure Mediation Act, effective July 1, 2010, homeowners now have a new tool in their fight against foreclosure. They need legal counsel, however, to assist them in the process and ensure the best possible outcome.
Volunteer lawyers who enroll in the Foreclosure Prevention Pro Bono Project will receive FREE training in exchange for a pro bono commitment. Participating attorneys will have access to malpractice insurance and mentoring support.
Training will cover:
- Mortgage lending and loan servicing;
- Maryland Foreclosure Law 101;
- Loss mitigation and loan modification;
- ABC’s of President Obama’s Home Affordable Modification Program;
- Defensive litigation strategies; and
- Effective use of the mediation process.
To register for training and select your volunteer preference, go to foreclosure training page.
The Foreclosure Prevention Pro Bono Project is coordinated by the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland in collaboration with:
- Governor Martin O’Malley
- Congressman Steny Hoyer
- Attorney General Douglas Gansler
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
- Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR)
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
- Civil Justice Inc.
- Allegany Law Foundation, Inc.
- Community Legal Services of Prince George’s County, Inc.
- Maryland Legal Aid Bureau
- Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
- Mid-Shore Pro Bono