- This event has passed.
Impact Speaker Series: Tax Sale
March 22, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
The Impact Speaker Series is a monthly 1-hour virtual lunch discussion with community organization members, volunteers, and PBRC's project staff to discuss current events/issues and the importance of clinic projects. Each live event is recorded and available for continued viewing. This series is free to all advocates and community members.
Topic: Tax Sale
Over the past six years, the Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland Home Preservation Project, in partnership with Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service, has assisted more than 650 Baltimore City and Prince George’s County homeowners at risk of losing their homes to tax sale. For homeowners, ending up on the tax sale list is usually the result of the inability to pay one’s property taxes.
Through the advocacy of volunteer attorneys, many of these clients can access programs and credits that reduce their property tax burden allowing them to stay in their homes. However, most Maryland homeowners are unrepresented. Join us as we discuss the current state of tax sale in the midst of the pandemic and how to volunteer with our clinic.
Advocates and community members are welcome to join the discussion.
- Allison Harris, Director of the Home Preservation Project, Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland
- Amy P. Hennen, Director of Advocacy and Financial Stabilization, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
- Nneka N'namdi, Founder, Fight Blight Bmore
- Louise Carwell, Senior Staff Attorney, Maryland Legal Aid Baltimore City Housing Unit
- William Steinwedel, Staff Attorney, Maryland Legal Aid Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project