- This event has passed.
Litigation Skills Series: Tips for Negotiating with Creditors in District Court
October 1, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Friday, October 1, 2021 from 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM | View the training:
- via LIVE WEBINAR using Zoom. You will be emailed access information.
- via recorded WEBCAST: View online anytime. You will be emailed access instructions by mid-October when the webcast is ready to view.
Tips for negotiating with creditors in District Court
Case study: Negotiating settlements for clients with medical or consumer debt
Speakers: Chelsea Ortega, Esq., Santoni, Vocci & Ortega, LLC; Courtroom Advocacy Project Staff Attorney, Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland
- Aspects of negotiation relevant to consumer cases
- Techniques for quick client interviews and efficient negotiations
- Crafting a compelling argument with limited information
- Practical tips when negotiating from a weaker position
- Mechanics of district court settlement agreements
- Types of debt: medical debt, credit card debt, landlord-tenant matters, auto debt
- Recent legislation and cases of interest
This event will include instruction, group discussion of typical cases, and a mentoring roundtable with Q & A.
About the PBRC Litigation Skills Series:
Each meeting runs from noon to 3 pm on a Friday, and includes three components: a 50-minute skills training; a 50-minute exercise; and a 50-minute mentoring roundtable, where attendees can bring up litigation questions they’re currently facing (whether related to the presentation topic or not), and get input from the group.
Participation is open to lawyers who have already accepted a pro bono commitment through a PBRC training within the past 12 months OR who commit to answer at least three legal questions for low-income Marylanders, using the https://Maryland.FreeLegalAnswers.org website. (Instructions will be provided. Must have a MD Bar license to volunteer.)
The skills training portion of each event will be made available as an on-demand webcast recording.
Sponsored by Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland