Name Change & Gender Identity Petitions: Representing Transgender & Gender Non-conforming Clients Effectively
June 9 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Tuesday, June 9, 2020 from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM | View the training:
- Via LIVE WEBINAR: Join and interact with speakers and participants in real time via Zoom. You will be emailed the link to join within 1 week of the training.
- Via WEBCAST RECORDING: View on your device at a place and time convenient to you. You will be emailed access instructions once the webcast is ready to view (expected by mid-June).
This training will enable attorneys to prepare and file petitions for change of name and for a decree of legal gender identity with the Maryland courts; understand and be able to advise clients on the differences between judicial and administrative options for gender changes; and represent transgender and gender non-conforming clients respectfully and in a way that affirms their human dignity.
- Name change process in Maryland;
- Publication requirement and waiver;
- Administrative gender change options;
- Court orders recognizing legal gender identity;
- Updating out-of-state birth certificates;
- Sealing case records in name and gender change cases;
- Working with transgender and gender non-conforming clients.
This training is available to attorneys who commit to take one pro bono name/gender change case with FreeState Justice within one year of registration. Malpractice insurance, access to a mentor, and case support provided.
Questions? Contact Kiah Pierre at email@example.com or 443-703-3046.