Name Change & Gender Identity Petitions:
Representing Transgender & Gender Non-conforming Clients Effectively
- Recorded on 6/9/2020 -
View the training online anytime. You will be emailed the training link within 1 business day of registering.
This training will enable lawyers to prepare and file petitions for change of name and for a decree of legal gender identity with the Maryland courts; understand and be able to advise clients on the differences between judicial and administrative options for gender changes; and represent transgender and gender non-conforming clients respectfully and in a way that affirms their human dignity.
- C.P. Hoffman, Esq., FreeState Justice
- Ezra Halstead, FreeState Justice
- Name change process in Maryland;
- Publication requirement and waiver;
- Administrative gender change options;
- Court orders recognizing legal gender identity;
- Updating out-of-state birth certificates;
- Sealing case records in name and gender change cases;
- Working with transgender and gender non-conforming clients.
This training is available to lawyers who commit to take one pro bono name/gender change case with FreeState Justice within one year of registration. Malpractice insurance, access to a mentor, and case support provided.
Co-sponsored by Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland and FreeState Justice